Becoming an Agile Leader
Becoming an Agile Leader is a six-month program for anyone who have a leadership or management role and who want to dramatically increase their ability to bring about sustained agility in the organizations in which they lead. Not only will you leave this workshop significantly more skillful and knowledgeable in organising, leading and managing in an agile environment; you will leave with a deeper, inner capacity for being an agile leader and growing an agile culture around you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Rather than learning about agile leadership (through PowerPoint slides and abstract models), as a participant in this program you will engage in an experiential and highly interactive learning journey. This will give you insight into: the inherent complexity of organizational and human systems, the role of the leader in catalyzing transformational change within those systems, and the methods, understanding and inner leadership required of you to become such a catalyst.
After completing this program you will feel comfortable being an Agile Leader; understanding the role, its purpose and its tools, and standing calm and relaxed in the face of constant uncertainty and change. You will know how to see, interpret and respond to signs from the organisation and you will instinctively know which strategic and tactical decisions that will help the organisation and people around you to develop and achieve more of their inherent potential. And you will have a map and a plan for the next step on your journey of leadership development.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Becoming an Agile Leader program is cleverly designed in two parts, to give you the best possible learning experience and outcomes:
- A three-day workshop that gives you a foundation and the tools needed to help you develop Leadership Agility going forward.
- A six-month series of online sessions giving you the time and opportunity to practice, ask questions, get advice, cooperate with the group, get new insights and develop further.
No formal prerequisites. However, an openness and interest in Agile, Leadership and Personal Development is more or less required. It is also important to have time for the program sessions and for studying or doing exercises between sessions.
CHALLENGES THAT THIS PROGRAM WILL SOLVE
Organizations around the globe are struggling to adapt to an increasingly turbulent economic, technological and business environment. Many companies are responding to the turbulence of today’s world by adopting agile practices. And for good reason: they provide well-tested practices and frameworks that improve a company’s speed, adaptability, customer and co-worker satisfaction, and quality of delivery.
As organizations begin to seriously embrace delivery and business agility practices, however, leaders and managers often find themselves with serious questions and challenges. Some of the most common ones are:
- Agile frameworks, as they currently exist, seem not to help us address the serious issues we are facing;
- It is really hard for us, across our organization, to break ourselves free from the old “non-agile” habits and thinking;
- Antipathy to the philosophy and ideas of Agility – still strong among some within the organization – slow down our potential progress.
- Some teams follow the framework to the letter but still struggle to get improved results. Why is that?
- Upper management buys into the buzz of Agile; but their lack of a deeper understanding makes it hard for us to have a coherent strategy and a clear direction;
- Agile feels right to us, but how do we know that it is right? How do you measure it?
- How to choose the right Agile framework and how to start using it?
These are just a few examples of the challenges many leaders of agile organisations meet. This inevitably begs the question: how can I, as a leader, as a manager, build long-term, institutional conditions that support a deep and sustainable agility? What is my role as a leader in making that happen? How do I need to act; how do I need to be able to think? What signals must I able to recognize; what reflexes must I develop? How, ultimately, do I need to be?
Becoming an Agile Leader will kick off with a three-day immersive workshop in Stockholm. The workshop, just like the rest of the program, will be in English and participants from all over the world are of course welcome (we will help you book hotel rooms close to the venue).
This workshop is where we build the foundation for the rest of the program, by introducing important ideas and concepts, taking our first steps towards leadership agility and – not least – getting to know the other participants and “creating the container”; that is turning our group of participants into a team with a strong bond and will to cooperate in the interest of learning and personal development. Judging from earlier experiences, such a team will be a reminder and a deeply valuable resource, lasting long after the program itself has ended.
When the three days are over, the program enters its next phase; containing 10-12 online evening sessions, once every 2-3 weeks, over a 6-month period. During these online sessions the real power of the program will come into light; you will be able to expand on your learnings from the workshop by:
- practicing in the safe confinement of a trusted group
- getting feedback and help from program leaders and other participants
- trying new things at work and coming back to ask questions and get advice
- be introduced to new ideas and concepts to take you even further
- continuously being exposed to a new way of thinking and being which will evolve your knowledge, understanding and mindset
The combined setup of the workshop plus the online sessions makes the Becoming an Agile Leader so much more than just a regular workshop or just a set of mentoring sessions. As a participant you will get the best of two worlds:
- The highly concentrated learning from a three-day workshop filled with experiential learning that builds upon your present capability, opens new doors and gives you a multitude of new perspectives and tools, getting you well on your way to becoming a skillful agile leader.
- The continuity of a 6 month program where new content can be added when it’s needed (and when the participants are ready), and where concepts and practices can be discussed and tried both within the group and back at work, over and over again until they become second nature.
Finally, Becoming and Agile Leader is actually in itself an Agile concept – and the program leaders are an example of Agile Leadership! – in that the program is both incremental (continuously adding new layers of knowledge) and iterative (continuously refining skills and understanding) over a period of time. It is also planned and implemented in an Agile fashion; while there is of course a solid plan for the hole program, both workshop and sessions, the plan is flexible enough to allow for improvements and corrections during the journey, should we realize that the plan can be improved to allow for even better outcomes than we originally realized.
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS WORKSHOP
- Executive leaders who are seeking a clear methodology which catalyzes the emergence of a deep culture of agility across the organization, in much the same way that Scrum catalyzes the emergence of a deep culture of agility within delivery teams.
- Middle-tier Managers who are looking for ways to increase their own capacity to deal with the complexity—both mental and emotional—that they face in their particularly unique and challenging role, and to be able to more ably bridge the gaps that impedes alignment between and among apparently disparate stakeholder interests.
- HR professionals and Organizational Change Agents who wish to gain deeper insight, and develop greater skillfulness, in helping to bring about deep and sustained shifts in organizational culture
- Agile Coaches who wish to bring greater capability and competence in their ability to impact ever-larger and more complex communities and stakeholder collectives.
OUTCOMES YOU CAN EXPECT FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS WORKSHOP
You will have a clear understanding of:
- Agile principles and (the different aspects of) Agile Leadership
- Common Agile frameworks and tools, their purpose and when/how to use them.
- How organisational structures and regulations can enable or obstruct Agile practices.
- How different organisational cultures supports or counteract Agile thinking.
You will be able to:
- Confidently act as an Agile Leader and on your journey of personal development.
- Sensing and understanding the potential and readiness for Agile in individuals, teams and whole organisations, as well as their needs and obstacles.
- Actively supporting others on their Agile journey, sometimes directly but often indirectly by influencing processes, structures, culture and mindsets
- Instinctively foresee and determine the right response to Agile leadership challenges.
Growing Agile Leadership and Mindset
You will have:
- A powerful framework to help you catalyze broad organizational change in ways that build upon and leverage the qualities that are already present within the organization (though they may be invisible).
- New ways of seeing, understanding and relating to organizational obstacles that give you greater effectiveness in working with systemic organizational issues.
- Clarity about the inner assumptions, beliefs and personal stories which limit your leadership agility; and a personal leadership development toolset under your belt which you can use to help grow your ability to transcend those limitations in full expression of your personal leadership impact.
- Brought about within yourself a significant shift in how you are being as a leader.
- A plan of specific practices to speed the evolution of your capacity to lead and manage in an agile environment.
- A clear and simple conceptual framework that supports you in being able to facilitate the emergence of high-performance relationship systems, regardless of whether they are groups, teams, or programs and whether or not they are practicing some form of “Agile.”
- Grown within yourself new tools that are key to helping groups and teams of all stripes to build shared purpose, understanding, and commitment among themselves.
- Started your journey towards a Sense&Respond/Teal leadership.